Energy efficiency is all about synergy – when the sum of the whole system is greater than that of its parts. An energy-efficient home combines each individual energy saving ingredient into a recipe for economical energy success. While every step on its own can make a small difference, a whole house synergistic approach is the only way to create a truly energy-efficient home.
The Benefits of Energy Efficiency
Efficient energy use offers real advantages from a financial perspective, as it translates into significantly lower utility bills. It’s good news for the environment too, as it reduces the drain on the world’s natural resources.
What Is a Whole House System?
A home’s heating and cooling system usually makes up around half the household energy usage, so it’s a smart place to start when creating an energy-efficient home. Adopt a two-pronged attack to energy waste by cutting your energy consumption and at the same time maximizing the efficiency of your HVAC equipment.
Take action by:
- Seal cracks, especially around doors and windows. This will cut down on air escaping and infiltrating your energy-efficient home.
- Inspect your home’s ductwork and seal any leaks.
- Service your HVAC system, at least annually. This will mean you get the best from your equipment and identify any minor problems before they turn into major issues.
- Insulate, insulate, insulate! Start off with the attic – it’s an easy place to get going and one where you can make a serious impact in terms of energy savings.
- Even if windows are already properly sealed, you can still do better in your efforts to achieve an energy-efficient home. Increase exterior and interior window shading and if windows are aging, replace with Energy Star double-glazed versions.
- Upgrade energy-draining lights and other energy-heavy appliances like refrigerators and water heaters with energy-efficient models.
For a professional approach to whole-house energy systems, please contact us at Pacific Aire, Inc. We can offer expert advice on all energy-efficiency issues in Ventura and Santa Barbara. We’ve been serving this area for over 20 years, and look forward to taking your call.
Image via Shutterstock.com