With the cost of energy reaching new highs, there are many residential property owners who are in the search of various efficiency methods to help them reduce their utility bills. The important thing here is that the heating and cooling systems in our homes consume about 50% of the energy usage compared to other appliances in the home. You can not only get rid of hefty utility bills but at the same time go green. According to the reports made by United States Department of Energy, having an efficient air filter can enhance the efficiency of your air conditioner from 5% to %15.
When calculated in terms of dollars this can help you to save a total of $360 per year if your monthly bills are around $200. Hence, it’s a lot of savings coming on your way when you take care of changing the air filters in your HVAC system.
Determining the Right Time to Change Air Filters
- There are many people who tend to change their air filters at the beginning of the season, when they know that the system will be used quite a bit. However, there are some who prefer changing it at least once a month as it keeps them on the safe side. But, the question still remains the same, what factors will help you in determining the right time to change your air filters?
- Understand the type of filter that is installed in the HVAC system of your house. This is essential because each filter has a different lifespan and thus it will help you to know how often it needs to be changed.
- • Next, you have to determine the air quality of your house. Now, if you think that the air inside your house is not fresh and clean like it used to be or you have start suffering from frequent cold allergies due to dust, then this might be due to a dirty filter which needs to be replaced immediately.
- Third, you have to make a note of the things inside your house. If there are pets in your house then you have to change your filter quite often, let’s say once in every two to three months to ensure that the HVAC system works in an efficient manner.
- Finally, consider the area where your house is located. If you live in an area that is polluted and holds high construction activities like most of southern California these days then you have to change the filter frequently so that it remains clean and pollutant free
Keeping these factors in mind will help you in realizing how often you need to change the air filters of your HVAC system.
Never Forget to Change Your Home Air Filters!
Though this might sound like a generic advice but it’s quite important to change the air filters of your home on time. Your HVAC equipment is likely to last longer and have fewer breakdowns when you care for it by regularly changing your filters and performing seasonal tune-ups on it.